Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Written Communication Skills

1) Creative Writing 

What does the word 'creative' mean? To me, creative means going beyond your mind and imagination, and thinking outside of the box. Truth is, being creative is not easy. Coming up with new ideas/plans/strategies is very difficult. 

For example, take the marketing department in any company. They have to be creative every day and always think on their feet, in order to gain a competitive advantage against their competitiors and increase their market share.

Since I was a kid, I always thought outside of the box. My imaginations and inspirations ran wild, and my brain was home to the wild and unique ideas. I felt this has helped me in all aspects of my life, and I have helped others solve problems with solutions that were far-fetched and unimaginable.

Creativity is something that is partly innate and partly aquired through one's life. One can always develop and polish their creativity by reading books of all genres, taking creative writing classes, and practicing writing everything from narrative stories to descriptive pieces.






2) Concise Writing

Many times in life, we come across people who just don't get to the point. They "beat around the bush" and waste your time, and their time, before getting to the main point. This can lead to disastrous results in one's life, as today's world is rapidly developing and life is zooming by at the speed of lightning. Time has become a scarce resource, and no one has enough of it. Thus, it is important to always be concise and get straight to the point, be it in an e-mail, report, or face to face.

At first, I did not know how to get straight to the point. Perhaps, this was because I was raised in a collectivist society, where I was always taught to ease my main point into a conversation, especially with elders. However, thanks to my English Language courses, I gained a great amount of practice in writing concisely, that now I can successfully get my points across to the audience in minimal text. 

One can improve this skill by reading books about how to get your points across (such as the one shown below) or practice writing and get your peers to check if you got your point across to the audience in an efficient manner.



No comments:

Post a Comment